5 Years of Firefox and You
By Irina Sandu (guest blogger) on Tuesday, October 20 2009, 16:36 - Permalink
With Firefox's 5 year anniversary just around the corner (Monday November 9th) preparations for the birthday celebration are in order. We, Mozillians, are very happy to have shared a lot of milestones and exciting moments supporting the Mozilla Project and its mission.
Here are just a few of the many moments we can be proud of as a passionate community:
- November 2004 - Firefox 1.0 is released
- October 2005 - 1st millionth downoad of Firefox
- October 2006 - Firefox 2.0 is released
- March 2008 - 10 years of Mozilla
- June 2008 - 3.0 release and Download Day, world record is broken
- July 2009 - 1st billionth download of Firefox
The Mozilla project is still very much in its infancy and we can be sure that many more exciting milestones await us.
To celebrate the first 5 years of Firefox, here is a list (by no means exhaustive) of ways to mark the occasion :
- organize a party (if you need help, contact me at isandu at mozilla dot com)
- adorn your local community website
- write a blog post sharing your experience contributing to the project over the years
- imagine how Firefox could be like in 5 years
- bake a cake and blog the picture
- call your local radio station and make a birthday dedication for Firefox on the 9th of November
If you're planning on organizing a "5 years of Firefox" party in your town or just want to share some ideas, make sure to drop a line on Mozilla's marketing mailing list (marketing at lists dot mozilla dot org) or join the conversation on IRC in #marketing.
Happy partying !
Photo credits here